Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Saint Pio of Pietralcina

St Pio of Pietralcina (1887-1968)
The beloved Pio of Pietralcina was known all over Italy because of his stigmata, which he had in his hands and feet for 50 years of his life. They mysteriously disappeared at the moment of death, but all through his life he suffered criticism, especially when the church authorities denied him saying public Mass and hearing confessions.  He also had the gift of bi-location and even predicted Pope St John Paul's appointment as a Pope when Karol Wojtyla went to confession to Padre Pio as a young teenager.
This is one of my favorite prayers by St Pio of Pietralcina, (1887-1968) whose liturgical feast we celebrate today:
My dear Jesus, release from my mind and heart
- any troubles from the past,
- any worries about the present,
- any anxieties about the future.
So that I can desire always, and in everything, just one thing
– TO GO AGAINST MYSELF IN FAVOR OF YOUR LOVE.
I entrust my reckless and troubled past to Your bountiful Mercy, o Lord. I also entrust to Your infinite Love my confused and undecided present. And I entrust to Your holy Providence my mysterious future. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment