Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Crucifix Tree

The Crucifix Tree
This tree was found in my home country of Malta, and I discovered it a few years ago, which led to this photo. It is a pine tree, one of a series of pine trees growing on a very busy street leading up to the town of Rabat. As you can see it can very easily be called a miraculous tree because it grew up in the shape of a crucifix. You can see the entire body of Jesus on it, with his twisted body, curved legs and outstretched arms, as well as his head. I can assure you that it grew up naturally, untouched by human hands. A few more people discovered it after me, and started placing candles, holy cards, and other devotional items. Someone also tried to stain it, which caused irreparable damage, to the extent that it started to deteriorate. Unfortunately, it may have decayed ever since, as during my last visit I could not spot it. It could have very well been replaced by another tree, which explains why I could not find it in its place. But at least while it was still there, many drivers paused and blessed themselves while passing by it, just as most Maltese people are used to doing while passing by churches, cemeteries and memorials where people have been tragically killed by accidents.
We adore You o Christ and we praise You, because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment