Monday, April 28, 2014

Emvin Cremona's paintings

Angel in dome of Annunciation, Balzan church
My favorite artist has become over the past few years the Maltese artist Emvin Cremona. I have shared a few of his sacred art paintings from various churches. Here are a few from two of the churches in Malta where his artistry is spread out across the ceiling for everyone to admire. The first one is from the church in Balzan, with an image of an Angel, and another one shows a section of the smaller dome and side paintings. 
Section of the same church in Balzan
The second church is the one dedicated to St Cajetan in Hamrun and shows Christ the teacher in the apse, and a detail of the same image. I have six photos of paintings of his in my office, and everyone who sees them is attracted to his style. I guess I’m getting them hooked  on Cremona, just as I did over the last few years. While visiting my family later on in the spring, I will make it a point to photograph every remaining painting of his, some of which are in smaller churches and in private collections. (please click on each photo to see the artist's beauty in greater detail)
Apse in St Cajetan, Hamrun Church
Detail of Christ the Teacher

1 comment:

  1. Dear Father Julian
    My mother grew up in Malta during the War. Her father was in the Royal Engineers and was posted there in January 1939 with his wife and 5 children aged between 7 and 11.They left in 1945.
    My grandfather was in charge of various building projects as well as the security of half the island including the harbour. One day in 1944 he was watching a young man painting a toilet block and he said to him “You’re making an amazing job of that door, what do you normally do?” The response was “I’m a painter. I paint people, but nobody has the money for portraits at the moment and I have to put food on the table.” My grandfather told him he was too good to be painting doors and got him a job painting scenery at the Manoel Theatre in Valletta, run by friends of his. The 25 year old painter’s name was Emvin Cremona and he was so grateful he offered to paint a portrait for my grandfather. He painted my mother Margaret who was 15 at the time. If you let me have your email I will send you a photo. It now hangs in my 88 year old mother’s house in England and will eventually come to me, then my daughter, then her eldest girl. I live in Australia but have just visited Malta and went to the gallery run by Emvin’s son Marco and his wife Marthese. My email is linda@peek.ws

    ReplyDelete