Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My first car


I never drove in Malta, and probably never will. Traffic is horrendous, parking impossible, besides they drive on the left hand side. And when I came to the USA in 1981, I used a bicycle for the first three years, visiting people, going on Communion calls, making occasional trips on Long Island, and even taking a few altar-boys on long trips to Montauk Point and back. But by 1984, I realized that I will not survive on a bike all my life. So I took some classes, started practicing driving, and by mid-February I was ready for my big test, which I passed right away on February 22, 1984, getting my license on that same day. My first car was a much-loved white Toyota Tercel, which was the stick-shift type (not automatic.) I enjoyed many trips in it, even to upstate New York, and kept it until 1994, 10 full years, when I traded it in for a Geo Metro. I kept the Geo Metro until 1998 when I moved to Pleasant Valley, NY and got a Honda CRV. Some parishioners there told me I needed a stronger car to drive in deeper snow, especially since their lawn-mowers were more powerful than my Geo Metro, having only 3 cylinders! When I moved to Oregon, I had it shipped here in 2003 and kept it until 2008 when it turned over 100,000 miles and then got my present car, a Chevy Equinox. People always have special memories of their first car, and so do I with my Toyota Tercel.

1 comment:

  1. It’s a good thing that you considered owning a car, Father Julian. While biking can be a good means of transportation, it isn't as convenient as to owning a car. Especially when you have to go on long trips, or need to bring some luggage. While it can be quite an investment, at least it'll last you for quite some time, with the proper maintenance and repairs every once in a while. Have a nice day!

    Byron Walters @ Bob Dunn Subaru

    ReplyDelete